Modish Fall

Wednesday, September 15, 2010

A slow day....

Today is a very slow day for us.  Finally!!! It seems we have been going and going non-stop for awhile now. It will be good just to do some simple housework, read to the kids today, and then go to church.


Belle is sorting clothes to wash, this is part of her home economics lessons. She has plenty to wash! Then she and I need to go through that mountain of fabric and cull out the small stuff. Against my pocketbook's wishes, Belle has grown twice this year!!! She usually has a 3 year hiatus, and I have gotten use to this regular cycle in our lives.  Not anymore. Clothes that she has only worn once are getting the boot. Soon the girlchild will be sorely pressed for clothes! LOL! The horror of a preteen girl, nothing to wear! Yikes!!! During these times Belle and I talk about fashion and about modesty and what it is to be a lady. We discuss what the current fashions are now and if they are truly modest and if so, how and if not, why not. It takes me back to days when my Mom would talk with me about things that were 'cool' to the kids at the time, that really weren't 'cool', or shouldn't be considered 'cool'. And then we talk about what it means to be a lady and why that is important. I realize at these moments, I have become my mother. It just snuck up on me. I don't think anyone can escape it. It happens to the best of us. So, I think we should all just say,"Thanks Mom! All those conversations didn't land on deaf ears. They just took some time to process and bear fruit. And now I have a ready-made script, now that it is my turn."

After lunch, DH took the boy out to the back acre to clear out brush. Learning about taking care of the land and hard work is part of Josh's lessons this year. He loves being outside, just not all the 'work' stuff. A couple of hours later DH radios in that Josh is coming back in for more water. I say ok, I will fill up the canteens. I wait and I wait. Still no boy. I start to think he got lost, when I look out the window and see through the trees DH and Josh by the creek. Then DH turns back into the woods and Josh comes inside. He announces very excitedly, "Know why I was taking forever coming in, Mama?" "I thought you got lost," says I. "Oh, no Mama. Not that. I was walking along and all of the sudden I heard something. And I looked over, and there was a SNAKE!" " Good gracious! What did you do?" says I. "I ran back and got Daddy, of course, " Josh tells me. Silly me! What was I thinking? "Oh, so Daddy killed it then, " says I. "Nope by the time I got back with Dad the snake was gone, into a hole most likely," says the very knowledgeable boy.  "That's great, dear," I say with not a lot of enthusiasm. "Well, got to go back out there with Dad," says the fearless boy. "Ok," says the chicken Mom, "Be careful. And watch for more snakes!" I shout as he walks out the backdoor, to the back acre, armed with 2 aluminum water bottles. He left his BB gun with his Dad.

No comments:

Post a Comment