Modish Fall

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

God pulls us through.

The past 2 days have been a blessing! We did not have ANYTHING on the schedule! Mondays Boy Scout was canceled til next Monday and Josh's weekly appointment was put off til next week too. In fact we have NOTHING pressing to do this week til Friday.  So, we have decided to get caught up with weekly chores and reading projects.

Before DH and Josh went out to clear more brush they read in Josh's book for this year. Last month, DH found a wonderful book for Josh at a gun show. It is the Boy's Book of Famous Soldiers by J.Walker McSpadden. It has some wonderful short biographies of some strong leaders; Washington, Lee, Jackson, Pershing, MacArthur and few others. Josh is really enjoying it. It has been hard to find books for boys that aren't unmanly. Boys are just little men, they need books that help build the role that God has intended for them; strong spiritual leaders, protectors and providers for their families. This is what we are trying to teach our son. Hopefully the book will rub off in a good way and through his Daddy's guidance.

Belle has been reading the Nancy Drew series. She is really enjoying it. I personally have never read the series, I read Sweet Valley High and Sweet Valley Twins; but she likes the mystery element that are in the books. I hope she will enjoy Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie as much as I do when she is old enough to read them!

Belle and I also took the opportunity to go and visit my Grandmother and make her a get well card today. She has not been in good health recently and it made her spirits lift to have the visit. We also talked about her helping me to teach Belle how to sew. Granny is such a wonderful seamstress! She and I can't wait to teach Belle all the joys of sewing! I do better with handwork; cross-stitch and embroidery. Belle wants to make her own clothes right now. So the fine work will have to wait. LOL! Granny is so excited to impart her knowledge to her great-granddaughter! So am I! Oh, the memories we will make!

I also had a webinar tonight from The Old Schoolhouse Magazine. They are having their Homeschool Expo in October and before it they have these encouraging seminars to get you ready for the major Expo. Tonights seminar was very encouraging! Everything seemed to be going against me to listen to this webinar. At first, I was late getting into it, then I had to get Josh's shower ready. He still has a little trouble getting the water just the right temp. Either it will be too hot or too cold. Then the kids decided to argue over who's chore it was to clean the bathroom mirrors and sinks! Unbelievable!!! After Belle won the argument, she wanted to let me know, while I am sitting at my laptop, earbuds in, that she was done with her chore. I threw up my hands in frustration and decided to make dinner. At dinner, DH said neither child would disturb me the rest of the night so I could continue the webinar. So, after everyone retreated to the back of the house, in their respective rooms, I finished the webinar! And I am so thankful I could! The last session spoke right to me!

We are doing a homeschool method of Unit Studies through The Weaver by Alpha Omega in order to simplify the teaching day. I have been trying to figure out how I was going to teach this to both kids at the same time when the presenter gave me the key! Teach to the oldest, the oldest will mentor the youngest. So simple! I had a slapping the forehead moment! Well, duh! I took notes so I could remember everything and apply it to my day. So much information that helped! I have been getting very discouraged lately about the method I had chosen and having second thoughts on if I had chosen correctly. I was even having second thoughts on homeschooling the kids. I think all parents that have decided to homeschool go through this as they go along and hit their mental and spiritual road blocks. God truly knows what we need, when we need it!!!

1 comment:

  1. I just stumbled on to your blog! It looks like you have a Belle! Me too! Anyhow, I wanted to invite you to follow my blog. It's about homemaking and making things! www.cozyseasidehomestead.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete